Peninsula Counselling Solutions
ARE YOU STRUGGLING WITH THE CHALLENGES OF BECOMING A PARENT?
The gift of having children is like no other. Children offer us the innate ability to reconnect with innocence, focus outwardly and expand our lives beyond any other way possible. It is a joyous celebration. However, with this joy can also come significant challenge and a major life adjustment.
Many parents feel overwhelmed, anxious and scared when becoming parents. Sleep deprivation can also cause serious health consequences for many both physically and mentally. There are many pressures both socially and personally that a parent can be impacted by. All of these factors can also put intense pressure on your relationship with your partner and then lead to developing unhealthy coping mechanisms such as excess caffeine consumption, poor diet and even alcohol or drug dependence. This all makes for a gradual but detrimental affect on your health and affects your ability to cope with the many challenges of parenting.
These situations and more can lead to Postpartum Depression also known as Postnatal Depression which affects one in 10 women and also affects as many as 30% of men and could be affecting you!
Symptoms can include:
- Depressed mood or severe mood swings
- Excessive crying
- Difficulty bonding with your baby
- Withdrawing from family and friends
- Loss of appetite or eating much more than usual
- Inability to sleep (insomnia) or sleeping too much
- Overwhelming fatigue or loss of energy
- Reduced interest and pleasure in activities you used to enjoy
- Intense irritability and anger
- Fear that you're not a good mother or father
- Feelings of worthlessness, shame, guilt or inadequacy
- Diminished ability to think clearly, concentrate or make decisions
- Severe anxiety and panic attacks
- Thoughts of harming yourself or your baby
- Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide
It is important to contact you doctor if you are experiencing any of these symptoms, but counselling health and life style management can also greatly assist with anxiety, stress management and depression to help you also.
Joshua Cohen (B.Couns) has experienced the effects of Postnatal / Postpartum Depression personally when becoming a father and has also worked with parents that have experienced this also. Through the journey of Joshua getting counselling himself, he managed to overcome the effects of Postnatal / Postpartum Depression. In doing so he offers a unique empathy and understanding through lived experience in order to help others that may be experiencing this.
Postnatal / Postpartum Depression is something that Mums and Dads can experience and is an area that not many counsellors currently specialise in.The use of effective counselling methods for Postnatal depression counselling can include focusing on areas such as anxiety counselling, depression counselling and relationship counselling to help you manage this challenge.
Peninsula Counselling Solutions is passionate about helping you to not have to go through this challenging life change alone and can help empower you to adjust to the significant challenges in becoming a parent.